Monday, September 19, 2011

Family

So it looked like I was going to be 3 short of reaching my goal for baptism... but not anymore!  We had the cherry on top for the end of my mission.  It started like this....
 
My companion and I were packed busy on Saturday.  We ended up getting out of a lesson late (around 1:10pm).  We didn't have time for dinner so this was our only chance to eat and we had a lesson at 2pm on Mercer Island which means we had 10-15 min for lunch.  So we rushed home and RAN to the top floor, because we live on the top floor farthest away from our parking spot... how convenient, and as we throw food out of the fridge we receive a text from the office elders that says,
 
"Hey can you let the Federal Way Zone Leaders into the mission office? They need some supplies and we wont make it there on time.  They are going to be there by 1:45pm."
 
GREAT!  We have no time for lunch and now we are defiantly going to be late to our 2pm appointment.  So we head over to the mission office to let them in. On our way we receive a text from the Federal Way Zone Leaders that says, "we got here a little early and are tracting in your area, let us know when you are close."  So when we are 5min away we send a text.  We drive to the side of the church where the mission office is located and we see their car but they are not there... but we know they are close by.
 
We then get a text message from our 2pm appointment who says, "Hey I got stuck at work... can we reschedule for 8pm tonight?"
 
YES YOU CAN! Phew! So we sit and wait and still... no Federal Way Zone Leaders.  Right after thinking this thought the phone rings.  I answer and they replied, "There is someone on the other side of the church that would like a tour.  They just moved from China and speak little English.
 
We are excited and meet them there, and direct them inside the church for a tour.  It is a married couple with their only daughter, Gaby, who is 12 years old, soon to be 13.  After getting to know them a little she went on to explain that she visited Seattle about 3 years ago and wanted to know more about Christianity.  She found our church, went to a service, not understanding anything, and left.  Over the past 3 years she hasn't forgotten and has been to many other Christian churches when on vacation from China.  She said that she and her husband would be coming to church the following day.  We wanted to extend the baptismal commitment right then and there but they wouldn't have understood because of the language barrier.  We waited till Sunday when we had a Chinese speaking member translate for us. 
 
They showed up to church 10min early as promised.  They sat in a seat we saved for them (right behind us) and had the Chinese speaking member sit next to them with is wife and daughter.... this is too perfect.  He was able to explain many things to them in Chinese as the service continued.  Afterwords, as we are headed to class, they repeated FOUR TIMES that they were going to join this church.  It was the best!  We have a return appointment Tuesday at 8pm, and they are bringing Gaby to Young Women's Wednesday evening which happens to be the same time as the English class at the same building.  We also invited them to "join our church" on September 30th. Two exact years after I began my mission. They will be confirmed the same day due to general conference.
 
I have prayed to baptize a family my entire mission, I have prayed to reach my goal of 45 convert baptisms, I have prayed diligently while doing my best to be the best missionary i could be.  I am so grateful for this tender mercy.  I will leave my mission exactly how I wanted to leave.  Thank you so much for your prayers.  I have indeed received them.
 
Love,
Elder Bottema

No comments:

Post a Comment