Wednesday, April 27, 2011

2 More

Another week of baptisms. This week we were able to baptize Dante, a young man from a part member family. The baptism was very quiet, reverent, and supportive. Many of the youth in the ward came. He was found two weeks ago and had been to church many times in the past. He really wanted to be baptized and become involved in the Youth Groups. Since I've been here we have added 5 young men to the youth program. The ward LOVES having all young men pass the sacrament again. It's really enjoyable seeing the ward grow and the fruits of our labors becoming more and more apparent. I have learned that in order to become successful in an area you have to continue to practice humility and rely on the Lord.

The next baptism was Anthony Vanhorn, who I taught 15 months ago in the Jovita Creek ward. He couldn't get baptized until he was 18 and I was able to be here when he made that turning point. His baptism was the most powerful and emotional service I have ever been too. The room was PACKED with 60+ people and everyone was so anxious and excited to finally see Anthony be baptized. He has been waiting so long and often said, "I can't wait to be baptized!.. 48 more days, 22 more days, 76 hours, 4 1/2 hours!!" My favorite line was, "I can't wait to wear that badge on my chest." As he stepped into the font with his best friend Jordan Grisham, you could see the realization in his face that he was actually here, making this step he has waited so long for. Everyone in the room was silently sobbing and you could feel the strongest presence in the room. Bishop Bennion from the Jovita Creek Ward is going to be a huge blessing to Anthony. This ward is going to be blessed because of this one person. He has already been asked to speak at Stake Conference and was ordained to the priesthood. Next week he will have the privilege of blessing the sacrament. I love seeing the conversion in people's eyes and the sacrifices others make to become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He had no family support at his baptism.

I often reflect back on my opportunities and the childhood I had. I am so excited I made this decision to come on a mission. I understand so clearly why we areencouraged so strongly to serve. This is a life changing circumstance and my entire perspective of what matters most has changed dramatically. You begin to see things for what they really are, and treasure the important things in life. Thank you everyone for being supportive on my decision to serve a full-time mission.

Love,
Elder Bottema

No comments:

Post a Comment